Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Grand Opening of the South Whittier Library!!!

Photo from South Whittier Library's Facebook

Yesterday, November 21, 2016, I was able to attend the grand opening of the long awaited local library: the South Whittier Library! I have waited patiently for over a year for the new library to be finally opened. I have to say, it was worth the wait!

Watching the opening speech

This was a $13 million project funded by Los Angeles County Supervisor Don Knabe. It is much spacious than the old library from across the street and has many new amenities such as 20,000 more books, brand new computers, study group rooms with whiteboards and smartboards, outdoor reading space and other cute little nooks for reading, and teen and community rooms.  

Supervisor Don Knabe, right center, and fifth-grader Nicolas Reyna, 11, cut the ribbon during the grand opening ceremony for the new Los Angeles County South Whittier Library at Telegraph Road and Colima Road on Monday November 21, 2016. (Photo by Keith Durflinger/Whittier Daily News/SCNG)
Cutting of the ribbon- photo from Whittier Daily News
 
Vonnie at opening day :)
It was great to see so many people from the community, including students and staff from the school I am student teaching at, at the grand opening. 

Audiobook and DVD shelves

New computers and Fiction shelves
 
Once the ribbon was cut, the library was opened to the public. People were able to go inside and use everything that was available as well as check out books. I, in fact, returned a book that was due and was able to check out two more books. 

Sis using the new self-checkout machines

I am in complete awe of how gorgeous this new library is. I am also super excited to spend my time here reading at one of the new reading spots!








At the end of the day, my community is truly blessed to still have people who care about their libraries. The fact that the county invested millions of dollars to build and reconstruct newer libraries really shows how our community values reading.  Libraries are essential resources that help our communities thrive!

2 comments:

  1. That's so cool that you went to a library grand opening!!

    Our local library has been closed for remodeling, like forever, and I can't wait until it reopens!! I think our library has been closed for at least a year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are truly blessed that the libraries in California are still valued. I've heard many horror stories from other places that funding has been cut and/or libraries are shutting down for good in their communities. I know LA County is having a HUGE library project to update old libraries and build new ones.

      I am glad that your library is getting fixed. I know it's torture right now that it's closed but it will be worth the wait once it opens! I can't wait to see pictures of your library once guests are welcomed. :)

      Delete