Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Review: Once Upon A Christmas Eve

Image result for once upon a christmas eve audiobookRead by Ashford McNab
Duration: 3 hours

Adam Rutledge, Viscount d'Arque, really rather loathes Christmas. The banal cheerfulness. The asinine party games. And, worst of all, the obligatory trip to the countryside. His grandmother, however, loves the holiday - and Adam loves his grandmother, so he'll brave the fiercest snowstorm to please her. But when their carriage wheel snaps, they're forced to seek shelter at the home of the most maddening, infuriating, and utterly beguiling woman he's ever met....
Sarah St. John really rather loathes rakes. The self-satisfied smirks. The sly predatory gazes. Oh, and the constant witty banter rife with double meaning. But in the spirit of the season, she'll welcome this admittedly handsome viscount into her home. But as the snowstorm rages, the Yule log crackles, and the tension rises, Sarah and Adam find themselves locked in a fiery, passionate kiss. If love is the true meaning of Christmas, it's the one gift this mismatched pair can't wait to unwrap.



My Thoughts: I've seen many Elizabeth Hoyt books but I've never gave them a try. When I saw her Christmas novella available, I thought, Sure! Let's try her out! Though this was not a perfect book, I can see the promise to her other books.

The plot of the story was typical: a rake teases the heroine who despises rakes, but they eventually fall in love. It's the bad boy/good girl scenario. The only difference was that it was set during Christmas time. There was nothing Christmasy about this book other than the mention that the holiday was a day away and the family was having a feast. So, in this part it did somewhat disappoint. I guess I was hoping for a more holiday feel book.

Now let me talk about the love between the characters: wow, that was fast! I understand that it was a novella so things had to work even faster between the characters. However, it was a little hard to believe when Adam told Sarah that she's all he thinks about and how she haunts his dreams. So this means love, right? How? It's been only a couple of days. But hey, don't think it was all bad. I actually liked the little tryst between the two main characters and I liked how Sarah said "F" this, I'm getting what I want. And she sure wanted Adam. ;)

Overall, this was a decent book. It gave me a glimpse to the Elizabeth Hoyt's writing style. I may give her other books a try. I give this:


No comments:

Post a Comment