Sunday, March 21, 2021

Mini Reviews: Women's History Month--Children's Books

 



I am always on the lookout for children's books to add to my classroom library. Since it's Women's History Month, I read three books that I must add to the library:



She Persisted Around the World: 13 Women Who Changed History by Chelsea Clinton & Alexandra Boiger
 
This was a wonderful book! I loved the illustrations and I loved how each snippet was written to captivate the reader. This book focused on 13 different women from around the world, such as Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, Caroline Herschel, Marie Curie, and Leymah Gbowee. I loved how it focused on women that are not always talked about. Usually with these types of books, I tend to read about the same women but not with this one. In fact, I was happily surprised that it began with Sor Juana Ines de la Cruz, a woman that I only read about while doing by undergrad for Chicano, Latino Studies. Clinton brought awareness to individuals I never heard of. I rate this: 4 stars!



One Plastic Bag: Isatou Cesay and the Recycling Women of the Gambia
by Miranda Paul & Elizabeth Zunon

This one caught my attention! I have not heard of this woman at all nor have I ever thought about people in other countries trying to go more green (a reality I came to realize about my prejudices). Isatou found a way to get rid of the plastic trash in her hometown and make a profit out of it to support her community. The determination of the women and their eagerness to better the lives of others was admirable. Also, I really enjoyed the illustrations! It was colorful and had so many different textures! I rate it: 4 stars





Danza! Amalia Hernandez and El Ballet Folklorico de Mexico by Duncan Tonatiuh 

When I saw this book, I knew I had to read it! As a child, I danced ballet folklorico and to this day enjoy watching dancers perform this artform. Ballet Folklorico is a big part of Mexican culture so I never gave it thought about its origins. This book book recounted the woman that brought the different dances from around Mexico and made it the staple dance of the country. What I really loved about this book was how the illustrations mimicked the Aztec/Mayan art style. They were a reminder to the reader of the origins of the Mexican people. I loved it! I gave it: 4.5 stars

1 comment:

  1. Great mini reviews. I like that you focus on books for children that highlight the lives of real life women for Women's History Month.

    ReplyDelete