Friday, December 30, 2016

#ShelfLove Challenge Sign-up

Shelf Love Challenge 2017

I have tried to participate in a few TBR challenges in the past but they did not always work out. Their scheduling or extra activities were something I could not keep up with. They usually stressed me out. So I needed to find another TBR challenge that I knew that I could participate in while working on my teaching credential. And I think I found the one!

The #ShelfLove Challenge is hosted by Second Run Reviews and Chapter Break. The goal is to be more responsible in how you grow your TBR pile and read the books that you already own. Yup, only your books on your shelves count.

Here are the different levels:

  • 1-10 books: shake hands with your shelves
  • 11-20 books: pat your shelves on the back
  • 21-30 books: give your shelves a warm friendly hug
  • 31-40 books: regular date night with your shelves
  • 41-50 books: my shelves are now my bff
  • 51+ books: my shelves and I are going steady

I hope to get to the second level (11-20)at least for 2017. I read 11 books from my TBR pile in 2016, so I know this level is feasible for me. However, I do want to push myself to read more from my shelves. I simply have too many great books waiting for my attention.




This is part of my built in shelf in my room. There are two other levels on it that you can't see here. Also, there are books behind these books that are not shown (it's a really deep built-in). I have to say that the majority of these books have not been read.  :(  I need to do a better job on that. 

Now, when it comes to my responsibility, I think I'll continue what I've been doing. I stopped buying books about two years ago due to my massive TBR pile and for financial reasons. I only add books when people give them to me or when I participate in the LA Times Festival of Books every April (this is the only time I allow myself to splurge on books). So, this part of the challenge will be easy.

I can't wait to get started!

7 comments:

  1. This is such a great TBR challenge! If others haven't worked for you, I really do think this one will. This will be my third year participating and I'd like to think I've done a bit better each year -- thought I have LOTS of room for improvement. I particularly love the emphasis on the joy of reading from our own shelves rather than the guilt of a towering TBR -- it's all about perspective! Happy reading and thanks for stopping by my blog earlier :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear your enthusiasm! Makes me even more eager to tackle my shelves!

      Delete
  2. Hope you will reach your goal, Vonnie! I participated in ShelfLove last year and found it was a great motivator to read what I already owned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with ShelfLove, Vonnie. I love doing this challenge as it really motivates me to read books I already own. And this year, I'm not buying books. Nope. Not gonna do it. :) Hopefully it will help me get control of my overflowing shelves! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not buying books at all! That's hard! Lol But you can do it!!!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Good luck with your challenge! I always find it important to try and get to reading books on your shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely built in shelf! I love built ins! Thanks for joining Shelf Love :)

    ReplyDelete