Monday, August 3, 2020

#FitReaders: July 27th- Aug. 2nd


FitReader 2020 logo image
 
#FitReaders2020 is hosted by Felicia the Geeky Blogger and Jen from That's What I'm Talking About


Here's how my fourth week of the challenge went:

Monday 7/27:  Did my own 15 minutes dumbbell workout; went on an evening neighborhood walk--1.52 miles; 10 minutes of salsa dancing. 
Tuesday 7/28: Evening walk through the neighborhood--.60 miles (had to rush to get to my online class); belly dance online class with Fahtiem--1 hour (890 calories burned)
Wednesday 7/29: Tried to beat the sun so we went on an early morning walk. It got way too hot too soon so we only did 0.6 miles. Unfortunately, I got sick due to the sun and heat. I couldn't do much the rest of the day other than walk another 1.5 miles in the evening. The days are getting hotter and the UV rays are no joke. Be safe out there!

Heat Exhaustion or Heat Stroke? How to Tell the Difference ...
Image from Franciscanhealth.org

Thursday 7/30: Salsa dancing for 10 minutes; 20 minute dumbbell workout; online bellydance class with Nasila through DanceGardenLA for 1 hour  

Friday 7/31: 15 minute of my own dumbbell routine workout. That's it. We hit the triple digits today so I took it easy. 
  • Music used for dumbbell workout: 

Saturday 8/01: Too many errands so I didn't get to workout. 😕



Sunday 8/02: The hubby and I visited for the first time the Channel Islands National Park by hiking in Santa Cruz Island. This was an all day trip since we had to take a boat to and from the island. However, we hiked for 5.3 miles. 




Weekly Goal Progress (tweaked a little bit to accommodate upcoming work schedule):
  • Lose the Quarantine weight: 0/10 lbs total (I gained back the pound 😞)
  • Belly dance: 2/2 hrs per week (MET)
  • Hiking: 5.3/4 miles per week (MET)
  • Neighborhood/Park walk: 4.22/5 miles per week (Almost)
  • Weights (dumbbells): 50/60 min per week  (Almost)
  • Latin dance with hubby: 20/60 min per week  (The hubby hardly worked out this week. I need to do a better job in motivating him)
 

How are you doing with the challenge? 


6 comments:

  1. You are doing great! If I could just sync my good eating weeks with my good exercise weeks maybe I'd make some progress... My post goes up at midnight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need to start adding better eating goals since I'm not seeing a difference in my weight.

      I'll be looking forward to your post. :)

      Delete
  2. I am so envious you made it to the Channel Islands for a hike!! My hubby and I lived in the Santa Barbara area for 16 years and somehow never made it out to the Channel Islands for a visit.

    Sounds like you are doing well in keeping up with your fitness. I have become so sedentary and need to start moving again.

    Thank you for highlighting the dangers of heatstroke/exhaustion. My sister in law almost lost her life to heatstroke/exhaustion a year ago. She was an ultra-marathoner and was a half mile from the finish line during a race when she collapsed and was discovered by another runner unconscious. She had to be airlifted to the hospital where she remained in a coma for a week and in the ICU for 4 weeks. The doctors were seriously considering giving her various organ transplants due to the lack of proper functioning of both her kidneys and liver!! She also had rhabdomyolysis and compartment syndrome due to heatstroke as well. She ended up having 3 to 4 surgeries on one of her legs due to the compartment syndrome... Plus, months of physical therapy followed. She will have to wear a leg brace on her calf for the rest of her life due permanent nerve damage from acute compartment syndrome in order to walk/run normally. So everyone out there, please take heatstroke/exhaustion seriously. It's no joke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! That is so scary! Is she able to race again?

      My hubby thinks I'm being over dramatic when it comes to the sun and heat. I've always been sensitive to it and it got worse after my hospitalization last year. I need to share your story to him so he can see that I'm not playing around.

      Delete
    2. Yes, scary indeed! I'm so grateful and happy my sister-in-law is still with us. Glad she didn't end up needing organ transplants either as organ function returned to normal. Her doctors said if she wasn't in such good physical condition from running, she may not have made it.

      You asked if my sister-in-law is able to race again... we'll see what happens. I think the doctors said it would take 6 to 12 months for her to be able to run again. She's back to running again now, but not at the level she once was. No plans to run any races at this time that I know of though.

      Delete
    3. I am glad to hear that she is doing better and is slowly getting back into running. I hope she'll be able to do marathons again, safely of course.

      Delete