Thursday, January 7, 2021

Author Event: Marie Benedict

With Lauren Willig

Presented by Strand Book Store



Hola! I attended my first author virtual event of the year on Monday and it was a good one! I was excited for this event because I highly enjoyed Marie Benedict's book, The Other Einstein, and I love the Strand, an independent book store in New York. 

This was a fascinating event as both Marie Benedict and Lauren Willig discussed Agatha Christie. For instance, I had no idea that Mrs. Christie disappeared for eleven days nor did I know that she wrote a collection of romance books under the name Mary Westmascott. All of the information that was shared during the event really peaked my interest in Mary Benedict's book, The Mystery of Mrs. Christie. I have now added it to my wish list. 

Though this event was centered on Marie Benedict's book, I got a glimpse of Lauren Willig's work. She too is a historical fiction writer. I'll have to keep an eye on her books. 

About The Mystery of Mrs. Christie:

In December 1926, Agatha Christie goes missing. Investigators find her empty car on the edge of a deep, gloomy pond, the only clues some tire tracks nearby and a fur coat left in the car—strange for a frigid night. Her World War I veteran husband and her daughter have no knowledge of her whereabouts, and England unleashes an unprecedented manhunt to find the up-and-coming mystery author. Eleven days later, she reappears, just as mysteriously as she disappeared, claiming amnesia and providing no explanations for her time away.

The puzzle of those missing eleven days has persisted. With her trademark historical fiction exploration into the shadows of the past, acclaimed author Marie Benedict brings us into the world of Agatha Christie, imagining why such a brilliant woman would find herself at the center of such murky historical mysteries.

What is real, and what is mystery? What role did her unfaithful husband play, and what was he not telling investigators?

Agatha Christie novels have withstood the test of time, due in no small part to Christie's masterful storytelling and clever mind that may never be matched, but Agatha Christie's untold history offers perhaps her greatest mystery of all.

Buy

4 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! I didn't know that about her either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be attending a virtual event tomorrow, Monday, January 11th where Marie Benedict will be discussing her new novel, The Mystery of Mrs. Christie, which will be hosted by Murder By The Book. I'm looking forward to attending this event as I am an Agatha Christie fan and have read many of her novels. I've even read a biography about her life, so I knew she had disappeared for eleven days.

    I have yet to read anything written by Marie Benedict, but her new novel, The Mystery of Mrs. Christie sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really enjoyed her book, The Other Einstein. I am looking forward to reading this one.

      Delete