Tuesday, July 27, 2021

Bookish Things in Georgia Trip


 


Earlier this July, my husband and I visited my husband's sister in Georgia. We were invited to do a special hiking trip that was incredibly fun. Though the hiking trip was only going to take a couple of days, my husband and I decided to stay in Georgia for a week. Since it was my first time visiting this state, I researched things to do and I found many great things. And of course, I made sure to include a couple of literary excursions.

The first literary item on our list was to visit the Margaret Mitchell house in Atlanta.


For those that don't know, Margaret Mitchell was the author of Gone With the Wind. When I was young, I obsessed over the movie so I made sure to pay some homage to my younger self. Due to COVID-19 and refurbishments, her house was not open to the public. Even though I was not able to go inside her house it was still neat to see the outside of it. 

I also wanted to visit Atlanta's main library because I heard they had a special collection of Margaret Mitchell's personal items. But of course, this too was closed.

Next...
We went to the city of Athens and visited the University of Georgia (UGA). We spent a good chunk of our time at the main library.



I enjoyed the little exhibit they had about African American civil rights. My husband and I found ourselves in the library's 3rd floor, which focused on world languages. I looked up Mexican books while my husband looked up Romanian books.

Right outside of UGA, there was the Special Collections Building. It had exhibits regarding the history of media, Georgia's history, and political history. While looking through the exhibits, we came across a small section regarding books: 










Though I wish we were able to do more bookish things in Georgia, there were so many other things that we ended up visiting, such as the Martin Luther king historical park.




But this only means that we need to return to Georgia to continue our bookish quest.

Here's to many more adventures!

3 comments:

  1. Great way to spend a week, glad you enjoyed it! I spent a few days in Georgia last month and had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you made the most of your trip to Atlanta by seeing many of the wonderful sights to see. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete