Saturday, September 29, 2012

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling

Synopsis: In his fifth year at Hogwart's, Harry faces challenges at every turn, from the dark threat of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and the unreliability of the government of the magical world to the rise of Ron Weasley as the keeper of the Gryffindor Quidditch Team. Along the way he learns about the strength of his friends, the fierceness of his enemies, and the meaning of sacrifice.
 
My thoughts: Wow! This book had so much going on! I felt like I read three different books and when I finished reading, I could not believe that I only read one book. I was sent on a roller coaster ride that just sucked me in from page one. So where do I begin in describing how great this book was?
 
Let's see...Harry Potter is not the usual happy little guy that we've seen in the first four books. In fact, this book is filled with teenage angst that was pretty reasonable with Harry's situation. After watching a friend die in the previous book, almost being killed by Voldermot, and nobody believing him that the Dark Lord is back can cause anybody to be incredibly angry. What I found very interesting is how Rowling conveyed Harry's feelings. I too felt frustrated and full of anger reading many parts of the book. At first I thought this was horrible, but then I realized that that was what Rowling was trying to do. She wanted to make sure the reader connected with Harry, and she did a damn well job with that.
 
This book is filled with wonderful characters and I did not think that I would come to loath any characters until I read Professor Umbridge. My gosh, was she an evil woman! I've seen the movie first and knew that Umbridge was insane but I had no idea just how horrible she really was until reading Order of the Phoenix. This lady has no compassion but in fact enjoys controlling others and watching others suffer. It is incredibly creepy how sadistic she really is yet puts up a front of a very girlish woman. I have to say that I quite enjoyed her outcome in the story.
 
Harry Potter's story has really grown. It shows how real life is not always made up of happy endings but actual harsh realities. Even our heroes make mistakes that sometimes cannot be fixed. It is a story of survival and trying to find one's self. I really like where this series is going.
 
I give it:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment