Friday, April 17, 2015

Review: Pride and Pleasure by Sylvia Day

http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1278525657l/6260766.jpg
Wealth has its dangers...
There are disadvantages to being an heiress, as Eliza Martin knows well. Fortune hunters flock to her, acquaintances lie and pander, and lately, someone is engineering "accidents" to propel her to the altar. But Eliza will not be bullied, and she will get to the bottom of this plot. All she needs is a man to infiltrate her assemblage of suitors and find the culprit. Someone not easily noticed; a proficient dancer, quiet, and even-tempered.

...so do certain men

Thief-taker Jasper Bond is entirely too large, too handsome, and too dangerous. Who would believe that an intellectual like Eliza would be seduced by a man of action? But the combination of her stubbornness and the mystery makes the case one Jasper can't resist. Client satisfaction is a point of pride and it's his pleasure to prove he's just the man she needs after all...





My Thoughts: Sylvia Day is one of my favorite romance authors and I simply gravitate to any of her books. This one in particular caught my attention years ago when there used to be a Borders. I bought the book thinking that it somehow related to Pride and Prejudice and the cover had bold colors. It took me years though to finally read this book, and I was stoked that I did.

First of all, this had nothing to do with Pride and Prejudice but it was still a decent story. I was intrigued at the idea of an unmarried heiress who sought the help of a thief to solve the case behind all of the "incidents" that put the heiress in danger. The mystery behind this story was what kept me hooked to this book. I tried to debunk who was behind everything and I was caught off guard when the perpetrator was revealed. I found myself more interested in the mystery part of this book than the romance aspect of it.

I was not as captivated with the romance between the two main characters, Eliza and Jasper. At first, the  characters' personalities and the attraction between them made it appear that something big was going to happen. There was tension and confusing feelings. This made me eager to see how their relationship was going to flourish. Everything seemed to be going great until Eliza and Jasper slept with each other. The love scene was great but afterward the passion began to dwindle. It lacked emotion and intimacy. I immediately lost interest over Eliza and Jasper. I almost gave up reading the book but I really wanted to know who was endangering Eliza's life.

Overall, this was not my favorite Sylvia Day book. The romance was not what I expected nor was I too interested with the characters towards the second half of the book. The mystery behind the book was great though. It was what kept me going to the end. I rate it:


No comments:

Post a Comment