Monday, June 8, 2020

Graphic Novel Review: Ghosts

Ghosts

Catrina and her family are moving to the coast of Northern California because her little sister, Maya, is sick. Cat isn't happy about leaving her friends for Bahía de la Luna, but Maya has cystic fibrosis and will benefit from the cool, salty air that blows in from the sea. As the girls explore their new home, a neighbor lets them in on a secret: There are ghosts in Bahía de la Luna. Maya is determined to meet one, but Cat wants nothing to do with them. As the time of year when ghosts reunite with their loved ones approaches, Cat must figure out how to put aside her fears for her sister's sake - and her own.

My thoughts: It is very rare when I read a graphic novel. I heard many great things about this book so I figured, "Why not?" I'm glad that I gave it a try because I was pleasantly surprised on how much I enjoyed it. 

The characters were sweet and relatable. I loved the portrayal of the two sisters. They had a strong bond but at the same time they each had their quirks that made them realistic. For example, Catrina tried her best to be the big sister but yearned to have some "normalcy" in her life. Along with wanting to have something normal in her life, Catrina was a very anxious character that always looked out for her little sister. Some of her actions reminded me of myself when I was a teenager trying to take care of my younger siblings. I was able to relate to Cat. 

What I also enjoyed about this graphic novel was its portrayal on the Mexican culture and the illustrations. I liked how Raina showed how Mexican culture is strong in some families while others it has been lost. For instance, Cat's mom lost her Mexican traditions while their neighbors still practiced them.  I also liked Raina's interpretation of Dia de los Muertos. It was fun to see how the spirits of loved ones came back to visit the living. Next, the colors of the illustrations were vivid. I was immersed with every frame trying to take in the wonderful artwork. 

As a whole, I found this to be a fun and enjoyable graphic novel. I liked the characters and I liked how it involved Dia de los Muertos. I am looking forward to reading Raina's other works. I rate it: 


No comments:

Post a Comment