Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Audiobook Review: Waiting for Tom Hanks

Written by Kerry Winfrey

Read by Rachel L. Jacobs

Duration: 8 hours 33 minutes


A rom-com-obsessed romantic waiting for her perfect leading man learns that life doesn’t always go according to a script in this delightfully charming and funny novel. 

Annie Cassidy dreams of being the next Nora Ephron. She spends her days writing screenplays, rewatching Sleepless in Seattle, and waiting for her movie-perfect meet-cute. If she could just find her own Tom Hanks—a man who’s sweet, sensitive, and possibly owns a houseboat—her problems would disappear and her life would be perfect. But Tom Hanks is nowhere in sight.

When a movie starts filming in her neighborhood and Annie gets a job on set, it seems like a sign. Then Annie meets the lead actor, Drew Danforth, a cocky prankster who couldn’t be less like Tom Hanks if he tried. Their meet-cute is more of a meet-fail, but soon Annie finds herself sharing some classic rom-com moments with Drew. Her Tom Hanks can’t be an actor who’s leaving town in a matter of days...can he?

My Thoughts: I love Tom Hanks so when I saw the title of this book, I could not help but giggle and check it out. Though I've read a book with a similar theme before but with Mr. Darcy instead, I was still looking forward to hearing how this one would play out. And I have to say, this was a cute romcom story. 

The story and characters were cute. We had 27 year old Annie who was obsessed with romcoms since she was little and would not settle for any guy unless he was like Tom Hanks from the romantic movies. Her explanations on how things should work out based on her beliefs on Tom Hanks were silly and enjoyable. I do have to admit that Annie got a little annoying because she tried to play everything out like a romcom movie, such as proclaiming her love. Out of all of the characters, she was the least realistic to me. However, the other characters such as Chloe, Nick, and her uncle were awesome! I really loved the banter between Chloe and Nick and I love her uncle's nerdiness. These characters made this book enjoyable to listen to.

On a side note, I chuckled at the blind date that Annie went on. I chuckled because it was too similar to my experience when I started dating before finding my husband. If I did not experience that date, reading Annie's blind date would have seemed exaggerated and unbelievable to me. But it wasn't. I too went on a date with a smelly guy who was in between jobs, did not have a place to live, nor did he believe in hot drinks. Yup. When hearing this part of the book, I almost felt as if the author dated the same person as I did and wrote him in the book. It was too freaky of a coincidence!

Overall, I enjoyed this book. The narrator did a great job in keeping an upbeat tone that kept me hooked.  I thought this book was cute and silly. I am looking forward to reading the sequel. I rate this:



2 comments: