Friday, June 18, 2021

Mini Reviews: June 18th

 


Here are two mini reviews of books that I read a couple of months ago:



The Midnight Library by Matt Haig

I read this book for a book club and heard many great things about it. I was intrigued at the beginning of the book: Nora encounters a library filled with books with alternate lives after attempting suicide. I enjoyed the beginning of Nora's journeys to discover herself but I quickly found myself bored. I found Nora dull and it felt more of a self-help book in the second half (I'm not a big fan of self-help books). After her encounter with the polar bear, I could not help but skim through most of the chapters since I could not relate to Nora nor cared about the alternate reality. However, I did enjoy the last few chapters of the book. They were predictable but it was cute. Overall, I gave it 3 stars. 





Whiskey in a Teacup by Reese Witherspoon
(audiobook read by the author)

I highly enjoy Reese Witherspoon's movies, so I was looking forward to finally reading this book. This book was part memoir, part cookbook, and part southern lifestyle guide. It was fun to read and listen about her life growing up in the south and learning about different Southern recipes. Although I enjoyed some parts, I could not help but have a lot of questions about Reese's "Must do's" to be a good Southern lady. I've never visited the south but it almost felt as if she were describing how to be a rich southern woman instead of a typical woman living in the south. Am I wrong? Despite that, I loved all of the photographs that were used in the book. They were absolutely gorgeous! In all, I rate this 3 stars

*TBR book & audiobook book challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment