Sunday, September 20, 2020

Author Event: Made in Mexico


I participated in my first library online event this past Thursday. In celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, the LA County Library is holding weekly events that showcase Latino authors and/or Latino people (i.e. chefs, teachers...). 

For their first event, they held an author talk with Luis I. Reyes, author of Made in Mexico. In his book, Reyes gave various facts of movies that were filmed in Mexico, which he presented in this online event. He talked about films like Titanic, The Magnificent Seven, Romancing the Stone, and The Night of the Iguana

My favorite part was when Reyes talked about the film, The Life of General Vida. It was a docufiction shot during the Mexican Revolution with Pancho Villa portraying himself. Sadly, this film was lost and only fragments of it still exist today.

This author talk was informative and I'm glad I participated in. I wish the library would have advertised it more because hardly anyone showed up to the event. I only stumbled upon it as I was searching the library catalogue a few minutes before the event began. 

Anywho, I will be keeping my eye out on more events from the library. :)

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun event! I have a few virtual events lined up for this month.

    I think I am most excited about attending the following two online events:

    1. Virtual conversation with author Paola Ramos in honor of Finding Latinx: In Search of the Voices Redefining Latino Identity in conversation with Cecile Richards. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/virtual-author-conversation-paola-ramos-cecile-richards-tickets-127163885605?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch

    2. Chat from the Old Cap: Joy Harjo, the current U.S. Poet Laureate and the first Native American to hold the position. https://events.uiowa.edu/38408

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh! I'm so glad I logged in to see these events! I registered to both. :)

      Delete