Monday, December 28, 2020

Mini Reviews: 4 Holiday Stories


During Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, I spent my time reading and listening some holiday books in between cooking and spending time with my husband. Here are the four books I read:

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson
Read by C.J. Critt

This was a surprise. At first I wasn't sure I was going to like it. The "bad" children (I can't remember their names) were absolutely terrible and the language that was used made my eyebrows raise. This was a children's book? However, as the story progressed, I was enthralled with the unfolding of the pagaent. I even loved how the bad children grew at the end of the story. It really was a Christmas miracle. I rate this 4 stars.

***********


The Christmas Letters by Lee Smith
Read by Various Artists

This story was told through a series of letters by three generations of women. The women recounted their life events during the time of Christmas.  Hardships and joyous moments were shared. I highly enjoyed listening to Birdie's letters but not so much her daughter's or granddaughter's.  I rate this 3 stars.

***********

Holiday by Candlelight by Laurel Greer


I am not much of a Harlequin book reader but when I heard that there was a romance holiday book with Hanukkah at its center, I needed to read it. Sadly, this was hardly a holiday book. It was more about a person dealing with PTSD and another person thinking that the first person was hot. I did like how the two main characters were honest with each other but I could not get into them as a couple. I found myself skimming through most of the pages. I only stuck with it to see how they were going to get their happy ending. I rate this book 2 stars.

**********
Too Many Tamales by Gary Soto

Alright, I am biased. This is one of my favorite childhood books. I read it to my husband on Christmas Eve and I could not help but feel giddy the whole time I read it. Tamales are a big part of my life so I highly connected with this book when I was young. Plus, it was one of the very few books with Latino characters that was read to me at school. I give it 5 stars.


How about you? Do you read holiday books in December? 

No comments:

Post a Comment