Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Audiobook Review: Forbidden

Image result for forbidden by beverly  audiobook
Read by Kim Staunton
Duration: 9 hours 27 minutes

Rhine Fontaine is building the successful life he's always dreamed of—one that depends upon him passing for White. But for the first time in years, he wishes he could step out from behind the façade. The reason: Eddy Carmichael, the young woman he rescued in the desert. Outspoken, defiant, and beautiful, Eddy tempts Rhine in ways that could cost him everything . . . and the price seems worth paying.

Eddy owes her life to Rhine, but she won't risk her heart for him. As soon as she's saved enough money from her cooking, she'll leave this Nevada town and move to California. No matter how handsome he is, no matter how fiery the heat between them, Rhine will never be hers. Giving in for just one night might quench this longing. Or it might ignite an affair as reckless and irresistible as it is forbidden . . .



My Thoughts:  When it comes to romance books, especially historical romance, I tend to encounter books mostly centered with an European point of view. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy reading books set in England or Scotland, but I want to have more culture variety in my reads. I was very thrilled to encounter Forbidden. This was my first Beverly Jenkins book and I know it won't be my last.

The story was very well written. I enjoyed that this was not an instant love story. In fact, the love between the two main characters, Eddy and Rhine, grew as they both got to know more about each other. The story took place in the late 1800s and the author did a fantastic job trying to stay true to the times yet kept it light for a romance. We got to learn more about the mistreatment of people of color after the Civil War and I got to learn about how some African Americans tried to "pass" for white. The latter topic was very intriguing that I may have to look more into to it with actual historical books. 

This audio production would have received a higher rating from me, but I was not too thrilled with the reader. Kim Staunton read Forbidden. At first she was great because it felt like she was able to capture Eddy's character very well. Unfortunately, Ms. Staunton was too monotone throughout the book. She made it very difficult to stay awake while listening to it. Good thing the story was good that I kept sticking with it. She just made it longer than it should have to finish the book.  I think I will try reading an actually physical copy for my next Beverly Jenkins book.

As a whole, this was not the best audiobook production though it was a great story. The plot was well written and the subject matter intrigued me. Unfortunately, I was not too fascinated with the reader of this book. The story got a 4 star from me but the reader got a 3 star. This brings the rating to be a:


No comments:

Post a Comment