Thursday, November 1, 2012

Friday Hops, Nov. 2nd

Book Blogger Hop

 
The Book Blogger Hop was created by Crazy-For-Books to help connect bloggers with other bloggers. It is much more than just a “follow for a follow”. It’s about making friends. The Hop is about taking the time to make a quality visit to another blog, getting to know the person who is writing that blog, and seeing if you really *want* to follow that person!

Every week is a chance to visit a new blog or more, find connections, and learn about new books to read!

This week, the question is hosted by The Fake Steph:

Is there a book that has been languishing on your TBR pile even though you spent months anticipating its release?

*sigh* Yes, that book would have to be UnWholly by Neal Shusterman. I read Unwind last year and was super psyched to hear that a sequel was coming out. A good book blogger friend of mine got it for me for my birthday (a week after it was realeased) and it is still sitting there for the past 2.5 months waiting for me to read it. I really hope to get to it before the year ends.



This is a weekly blog hop hosted by the wonderful Parajunkee and Alison Can Read. Today's question is:

Q: What is a deal breaker for you in a book? For example, do you abhor love triangles? Or can’t deal with bad editing?

My deal breaker would have to be editing and repetition. If I find two or three mistakes in a book, I usually let it go, but if I find more than that then my reading experience changes immediately. Also, I detest repetition! If I find myself reading the same thing over and over again just because the author felt that they needed some fillers, I get very frustrated and sometimes throw the book against the wall. I found myself doing that with Breaking Dawn.

14 comments:

  1. Great choices! I've not thought about repetition so much, but you make a very good point, I usually try to skim past it as fast as possible!

    I'm a new follower though GFC! Check out My FF post here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first read Twilight, I didn't mind the repetition of how Edward looked like a god or something, but now I roll my eyes whenever I come across stuff like that in other books XD

    Thanks for following! Old follower :)

    - Kazhy @ My Library in the Making

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, a few mistakes are fine. I've read books like that, never any where the editing was so horrendous though that I had to stop! Repetition is a good one! I once read a book where a character was constantly saying this word over and over! It drove me nuts! She said it like 3 times on one page!

    Here's my Follow Friday

    Have a GREAT weekend!

    Old Follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah yes, repetition can be so annoying - Shades of Gray comes to mind!

    Tanya Patrice
    Girlxoxo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read books with many mistakes in them, its crazy - with all the editing? Should not happen.
    I agree with the repetition - I hate that too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been wanting to read Unwind for a while! And I get so sad when I see all the pretty books that I want to read on my shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am happy to see we all have books waiting in the wings. I am glad I am not the only one. :)

    Have a fun hop.

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    http://silversolara.blogspot.com/2012/11/book-blogger-hop-112-118.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Agreed! Great answers. Old follower via GFC. My FFs are at Musings on Fantasia and LKHill. Happy Friday! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great answer. Repetitive filler is super annoying. If I'm skimming pages of filler in a book, that is a bad sign.

    new follower. Here's my FF:
    http://booksojourner.blogspot.com/2012/11/feature-follow-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. A good answer, I agree.

    http://citygirlwholovestoread.blogspot.com/2012/11/feature.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish I had a work off week just to catch up on my reading and no other chores..lol Great answers! Have fun reading ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, Vonnie!

    I'll have to investigate "UnWholly", since I've never heard of it. But I can relate to books 'languishing' on bookshelves. I have SO many books that I eagerly bought, that I haven't gotten to...lol. I really NEEDED to buy them at the time, too!

    As for deal breakers when reading a book, I agree with you about poor editing and repetition. I think that any author who hopes to find readers for their book should make EXTRA sure the book is professionally edited. It's inexcusable for a reader to find such mistakes, for example, as "She excepted his decision", when obviously the correct word is "accepted". Or: "Just let me know when your ready", when, again obviously, the correct spelling is "you're". Believe me, I've seen stuff like this, mostly in YA novels, and mostly those from indie authors.

    Now, regarding "Breaking Dawn"...here I have to disagree with you. I have read the entire Twilight Saga twice, and don't recall any repetition in "Breaking Dawn". I LOVE all four books!!!! Yes, I'm a Twihard, and proud of it, too!!!

    Thanks for your great answers!! : )

    P.S. I don't know if you read my reply to your comment on my blog the other day. My Shelfari name is "Maria B.". I was looking for the Bibliophile group the other day, but couldn't find it. However, I can't promise to be a regular if I join the group. I have TWO jobs, and barely any time for reading and blogging...

    Have a FAB Sunday!! : )

    ReplyDelete