Monday, November 12, 2012

Review: In Cold Blood by Truman Capote


Synopsis: On November 15, 1959, in the small town of Holcomb, Kansas, four members of the Clutter family were savagely murdered by blasts from a shotgun held a few inches from their faces. There was no apparent motive for the crime, and there were almost no clues.

Five years, four months and twenty-nine days later, on April 14, 1965, Richard Eugene Hickock, aged thirty-three, and Perry Edward Smith, aged thirty-six, were hanged from the crime on a gallows in a warehouse in the Kansas State Penitentiary in Lansing, Kansas.


My thoughts: Boy, did I try to like this book and I tried to make myself read it from beginning to end, but failed. It is very well written but it was very dry and boring for my taste. After tediously reading the first part of the book, I found myself skimming through the rest. Many times I contemplated of just dropping the book because I had many others waiting for me to read, but, I was interested in this true life case, which made me stick with the book as best I could.

What I did noticed, though, was that this true crime book was told in a way that satisfied Capote. He even puts himself as a character in the story to help him connect more to the horrendous events. To learn the actual truth behind the Clutter murders, one has to search online for the facts.

I wish I could have liked this book like many others had, but I'm in the minority. I give it:

No comments:

Post a Comment