Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Review: The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

 
Synopsis: Bilbo Baggins is a hobbit who enjoys a comfortable, unambitious life, rarely traveling any farther than his pantry or cellar. But his contentment is disturbed when the wizard Gandalf and a company of dwarves arrive on his doorstep one day to whisk him away on an adventure. They have launched a plot to raid the treasure hoard guarded by Smaug the Magnificent, a large and very dangerous dragon. Bilbo reluctantly joins their quest, unaware that on his journey to the Lonely Mountain he will encounter both a magic ring and a frightening creature known as Gollum.


My thoughts: This is my second read of The Hobbit and it did not disappoint. The first time I read it was back when I was fourteen and I was not used to reading fantasy books. It was a bit of a challenge for me back then. Now, I am glad to see how far my reading level has gone and how much more I came to like this book. The Hobbit was a very easy and enjoyable read.

Tolkien created a wonderful world of magical creatures. We get to meet the famous hobbits, the treasure driven dwarfs, the famous elves that protect their lands, and many other creatures. Of course we also get to meet the famous wizard, Gandalf. It was very entertaining to read these characters. I enjoyed Bilbo's constant worry for food and how he slowly came out of his shell to be part of the traveling party. I also loved when we get to meet Gollum. Gollum is just a fun character!

Though this book is very simple and it's only the introduction to a wonderful world that is further explored in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I have to say it is well written and quite excitable. This book shows how talented Tolkien was in creating a whole world of his own. Also, the book is written in a very lyrical way that you come to appreciate how poetic Tolkien was.

Overall, this re-read brought me back to my teen years and brought me back to some very loved characters. The Hobbit continues to have a special place in my heart. I give this re-read:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment