Saturday, November 24, 2012

Review: Angel Eyes by Shannon Dittemore

Synopsis: Once you've seen, you can't unsee. Everything changes when you've looked at the world through . . . Angel Eyes

Brielle's a ballerina who went to the city to chase her dreams and found tragedy instead. She's come home to shabby little Stratus, Oregon, to live with her grief and her guilt . . . and the incredible, numbing cold she can't seem to shake.
Jake's the new guy at school. The boy next door with burning hands and an unbelievable gift that targets him for corruption.



Something more than fate has brought them together. An evil bigger than both of them lurks in the shadows nearby, hiding in plain sight. Two angels stand guard, unsure what's going to happen. And a beauty brighter than either Brielle or Jake has ever seen is calling them to join the battle in a realm where all human choices start.
A realm that only angels and demons-and Brielle-can perceive.
 
My thoughts: This book started off really slow for me and it didn't help that it was very vague what happened to Brielle in the city. It actually almost drove me nuts not being able to know what happened to her for the first 50-some pages. Once you learn what happened to her, the story picks up and continues to escalate.
 
I became enthralled with the characters and the story line once it picked up. I liked Jake's character tremendously and wished that he too was sent to me by God. Brielle was also interesting; she was your typical teenager but not annoying. Also, I really enjoyed the whole thought of good versus evil, and how there are angels watching over us. I especially liked the description of the angels and the Celestial world.
 
Furthermore, this book brings up the question of God: if God is supposed to be good, why does He allow bad things to happen? This is a question that all people ask no matter if they are religious or atheist. I liked the way Dittemore tried to explain this without being preachy. I also liked the fact that she mentions that it's okay to question the things that we do not understand. It all depends on Faith.
 
The downside for me was that it took almost 50 pages to catch my interest. Also, not knowing what happened to Brielle during these pages did not go well for me. In fact, when I learned what happened to her in the city, I found myself scratching my head and saying, "that's it?" Yes, it was tragic what occurred to her but the way Brielle was acting made me think that something horrendous happened to her, which traumatized her to the point that she was afraid of everything. Luckily, the story picked up and her fears were better explained.
 
In all, this was a very enjoyable read. I haven't read many fictional books on angels and I'm glad I got the chance to read this one. I give it:

No comments:

Post a Comment