Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Movie Review: Les Miserables (2012)

 
Went to see this movie yesterday and I loved it. I've always wanted to see the musical live but never gotten the chance to, so I was pretty excited when I learned that it was turned into a film.

 
Not all of the singing was the best but I did enjoy the musical score. Hugh Jackman surprised me on how well he sang. I knew he performed in Broadway but I never knew how great his singing was. Anne Hathaway's "I Dream a Dream" was breathtaking that it caused me to cry (I'm a big baby) and I admired just how much she got into the role of Fantine.  The little girl who does Cosette was adorable and I really liked how she sang as well. Perhaps my favorite song out the whole movie is "Look Down." It's so powerful.
 
How does this movie compare to the book? Well, it has been many years since I've read the book but I still remember much of the story line. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo is one my favorite books. I really liked how much of the story was still in the musical. Of course the movie could not have everything that was in the book since it the book is more than 1,000 pages long, but it did well to capture how miserable the people of France were back yet still have the hope to keep on living. I would have liked it if more of the main characters were developed more, but I'll take whatever I can get.
 
This movie made me cry and sigh. Is it the best movie out there? No, but I still love it because it's one of my favorite stories out there.

I rate it 4 stars.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see this movie!! Thanks for the great review and hope you have an awesome holiday season!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been so long since I have read the book I can barely remember it. But, I've seen it live, performed by two different community theatres and it was wonderful. The first time I was in charge of makeup and loved every minute of it. I cannot wait to see Les Mis on the big screen and I have already been warned, several times, to have tissue handy. If the movie is half as good as the trailers then I am in for a treat.

    ReplyDelete