Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Review: UnStrung by Neal Shusterman

Synopsis: How did Lev Calder move from an unwillingly escaped Tithe to a clapper? In this revealing short story, Neal Shusterman opens a window on Lev’s adventures between the time he left CyFi and showed up at the Graveyard.

Pulling elements from Neal Shusterman’s critically acclaimed Unwind and giving hints about what is to come in the riveting sequel, UnWholly, this short story is not to be missed.

My thoughts: I was not sure what to expect when reading this novella. It has been a while since I've read Unwind, so I somewhat forgot the characters' names. This novella follows Lev during the time he was separated from Connor and Risa. He hides at a reservation and there he meets Wil.

Though this is a short story, we do come to learn more about the world that Neal Shusterman has created, and we come to see it through the Native Americans' perspective. In the future, Native Americans are known as People of Chance. They are "protected" by the governement and are exempt from following the unwinding laws. In fact, these people have created their own science when it comes to organ transplant.

I wish this story would have been longer. I wanted to learn more about the People of Chance and I wanted Wil's character to have been further explained. The end saddened me, which only made me wish more that I knew Wil and his people more.

This was a good addition to the Unwind series and has me pumped up for UnStrung. I rate it:

No comments:

Post a Comment