Sunday, August 25, 2013

Audiobook: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

 
Read by Carolyn Seymour

Synopsis: In one of the most universally loved and admired English novels, a country squire of no great means must marry off his five vivacious daughters. Jane Austen's art transformed this effervescent tale of rural romance into a witty, shrewdly observed satire of English country life. A selection of the Common Core State Standards Initiative.

My thoughts: I read P&P a few years ago and quite enjoyed it. I then have seen different adaptations of this book that had only made me love this book even more. I decided to re-read this book as an audio and see if I could get a new perspective on it, plus I thought it would have been easier for me to understand Austen's writing.

This time around, I appreciated the book a lot more. The first time I read it, I struggled with the writing. Being able to listen to someone read this made it much simplier for me to enjoy the story. I came to understand the story more and came to see the characters with a new perspective. I also became aware of scenes that I somehow did not remember from my first read.

My thoughts on the performance: Carolyn Seymour did a fantastic job in narrating this story. I loved how animated she was and how she put emphasis in situations to make things more dramatic. I especially loved her portrayal of Mrs. Bennet. I couldn't help but laugh every time Mrs. Bennet was around.

Re-reading P&P as an audio was a great choice. I came to enjoy the story much more and reminded me why this story keeps capturing my heart. I loved the performance, the plot, and the characters. I rate it:


No comments:

Post a Comment