Thursday, August 22, 2013

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen


Synopsis: When two sisters appear to be deserted by the young men they had intended to marry, the stage is set for a delicious comedy of manners that not only showcases Austen's perception, humor and incomparable prose, but offers a splendid glimpse of upper and middle-class English society of the early 19th century.

My thoughts: I love Jane Austen's story of Pride and Prejudice, but her writing style is really hard for me to get into. So, I read Sense and Sensibility with caution. I was not hooked in to the story as much, but it did have it's good moments. I found myself having a harder time reading this book compared to P&P.

The plot was predictable and a little dull for my taste, but I did enjoy the few big moments or "twists" that it had. I found that reading about two girls going to parties and trying to get married boring, and I couldn't help but fall asleep many times the first half of the book. By halfway though, the story picked up and got me more interested. What's interesting about this book was that even though I did not enjoy the book as I hoped while reading it, I couldn't help but think about the story while not reading it. As simple of a story as it was, Jane Austen knew how to leave an impression.

What stood out to me about the book were its characters. There was great development. I liked how the majority of the characters grew by the end of the book. For example, Marianne's character was immature in the beginning and only thought of herself but towards the end she became more considerate of others and was able to let go of her hurt. I also enjoyed how Willoughby's character changed the last few pages.  The characters were the best part.

Overall, I did like story but I did not love it. It was hard for me to get into but I was able to finish it. I rate it:

 


No comments:

Post a Comment