Friday, August 2, 2013

Friday Hops, 8/1/2013




This hop is hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. Every week bloggers answer a question and then visit other blogs that are participating.  This week's question is:

How do you turn down a review request?

A: Well, I haven't turned down a review request yet. I have been tempted once to do so but I relented. I guess if I had to or wanted to, I would thank the author/publisher for thinking of me and tell them that I am not interested.
 


Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader and The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice.


Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen

The beginning: "The family of Dashwood had been long settled in Sussex."
 
Page 56: "But whatever might be the particulars of their separation, her sister's affliction was indubitable; and she thought with the tenderest compassion of that violent sorrow which Marianne was in all probability not merely giving way to as a relief, but feeding and encouraging as a duty."


 
I am participating in "Austen in August" month over at The Book Rat, so many of my reads will concentrate on Jane Austen this month. I've only read Pride and Prejudice, so my goal is to read two other books of Austen's as well as other inspired Austen books.

I'm going to start with Austen's first published novel, Sense and Sensibility. I could already tell that this is a rich story.
 

10 comments:

  1. Although I have read 'Sense & Sensibility' I never really got into it the same way I got into other Jane Austen novels. I have "rejected" review requests but I always feel bad about it! Thanks for sharing, I hope you have a great weekend!
    My Friday Post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always say I am too busy and over committed to take on new books, and that's mostly true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate to confess that I have never read this Austen novel. I need to revisit all of her works soon. Austen in August sounds perfectly lovely! Also-- I adore your blog header and design! Thanks for sharing and for visting me @ The Key to the Gate.
    Happy Reading,
    Rebcca @ The Key to the Gate

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't read this Austen novel, either; I'm not sure why. Great excerpts, though.

    Here's
    MY FRIDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not as famous as the P&P opening sentence. But not as ripped off either. :) Thanks for sharing it on Book Beginnings on Fridays.

    Rose City Reader

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice and gracious way to say no.

    Declining is tricky, but it can be done graciously as I have seen from many answers today including mine. :)

    Stop by for my full answer if you like.

    Happy Hopping!!

    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I guess I'm just a coward...lol. I was never able to just tell an author or publisher that I wasn't interested. I've solved this problem, though! Come on over to my blog to see my solution!

    I have recently bought two different editions of "Sense and Sensibility", just because of their beautiful covers! I'm currently reading "Pride and Prejudice", even though I'm not part of "Austen In August". What a coincidence, right? Anyway....I like those quotes you've posted! I hope to read this one soon, too!

    Thanks for sharing!! : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries. Many of us don't know how to say "no" to others. I have the same problem.

      Delete
  8. Wow,no rejections so far! :) I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete