Thursday, August 29, 2013

Friday Hops, 8/29/13




This hop is hosted by Billy over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. Every week bloggers answer a question and then visit other blogs that are participating.  This week's question is:

Have you ever ended up reading a book with its last or last few pages missing? What book was it? And how did you managed to get to the end?

A: Yes I have. It was the PDF for Catching Fire. I borrowed it from the library and I remember scratching my head and asking myself, "that's how it ends?" It didn't feel right, so I went to the Borders (when it was still around) and grabbed a book. Sure enough, the last four chapters were missing. I reported it to the library and they said that they were going to fix it.

I have also read a book were 100 pages in the middle were put in upside down. It was funny to actually read a book upside down and get strange looks from people passing by.

 
 


Book Beginnings on Friday is hosted by Rose City Reader and The Friday 56 is hosted at Freda's Voice.


Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange

The beginning: "DECEMBER 1802

My dearest Jane,
   My hand is trembling as I write this letter. My nerves are in tatters and I am so altered that I believe you would not recognise me."
 
Page 56: "I thought our differences had been resolved, at least the differences that matter, those involving our hearts and minds. The others, the difference in our social standing and the opinion of other people, I thought no longer mattered to you, as they have never mattered to me."

I saw this book at a local used bookstore and couldn't help but giggle over the title. I had to give this book a try. So far it's going well. This takes place after Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy get married. I wonder when she'll find out that he's a vampire.
 
 

13 comments:

  1. Nice excerpts! Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Pride and Prejudice - not sure I can visualise Darcy as a vampire ...happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh God, basically you were Luna Lovegood while you were reading upside down! I wouldn't like not being able to finish a book! I hope 'Mr Darcy, Vampyre' is good for your sake, but sometimes I look at those sequels and I just wonder who the hell came up with it! XD
    Thanks for sharing, hope you have a good weekend!
    My Friday post
    Juli @ Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I didn't even think of that. I guess I was like Luna Lovegood.

      Delete
  4. These excerpts all sound very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is funny about the upside down pages.

    Strange about how the e-book had pages missing and so many of them. That would be awful. I guess it can happen anywhere. :)

    Happy Hopping!!
    Elizabeth
    Silver's Reviews
    My Blog Hop Answer

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! A library PDF missing pages. LOL! I would think someone would have told them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never read a book that was missing the last pages but I have read a book that the pages kept falling out of! That was annoying enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missing pages in an E-book ... how weird!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun mash-up, but missing pages... OH MY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Vonnie,

    I have never read a book with missing pages, although I have had the scenario you describe, where some of the pages have been bound upside down, which is rather bizarre and very awkward to read.

    I loved both of your featured passages this week and on the face of it, those first few lines would make me want to keep on reading. However, when you factor in the synopsis, I'm afraid that I would lose all interest, as I don't like the re-hashing of classic stories, to bring them up to date, or for an author to try and second guess the original writer and come up with a sequel to a classic story.

    I obviously hope that you enjoy the story and thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear that the Mr. Darcy, Vampyre is going well! I never read it but I had seen it when it first came out. Hope you had a lovely weekend, thanks for dropping by my blog!

    - Lianne @ caffeinatedlife.net

    ReplyDelete
  12. How have I never heard of this literary gem?! Mr. Darcy, Vampyre sounds like a very entertaining read. And of all the books to have missing pages at the end, the ending of Catching Fire is very pivotal!

    ReplyDelete