Thursday, August 29, 2013

Book-to-Movie: Sense and Sensibility (1995)

 
Synopsis: Rich Mr. Dashwood dies, leaving his second wife and her three daughters poor by the rules of inheritance. The two eldest daughters are the titular opposites.   
Director: Ang Lee
Writers: Jane Austen (novel), Emma Thompson (screenplay)    
Stars: Emma Thompson, Kate WinsletHugh Grant, Alan Rickman      
 
My thoughts: After struggling through Jane Austen's novel, Sense and Sensibility, I thought that I would give the movie a try and see if I could understand the story more. Though the movie adaptation was not accurate, I was able to enjoy it and get a better sense on what the plot of the book was about.

 
What I loved best about the movie was that I was able to feel more for the characters. In the book, I only paid attention to Marianne and Willoughby. In the movie, I was able to appreciate Elinor and Colonel Brandon more, especially when Brandon was played by Severus Snape...*cough, cough* I mean Alan Rickman. I really loved Colonel Brandon's character and I sympathized with Willoughby even though he was a screw up. I even shed a couple of tears towards the end for these characters.
 
Though I didn't love this movie as much as Pride & Prejudice, I did enjoy it. It was well acted, the costuming and scenery were nice, and the flow of the movie was smooth. I'm glad I gave the movie a try. I give it:
 
 
 
 
               

1 comment:

  1. Sounds good enough. I still have to read Sense and Sensibility. I was on quite an Austen streak for awhile, but never did get to it. Thanks for your thoughts.
    -Dilettantish Reader

    ReplyDelete