Saturday, August 31, 2013

Book-to-Movie: Sense and Sensibility (2008)

 
Synopsis: Widow Dashwood and her three unmarried daughters, Elinor, Marianne and Margaret, inherit only a tiny allowance. So they move out of their grand Sussex home to a more modest cottage in Devonshire. There, the prevailing ambition is to find suitable husbands for the girls. With help from wealthy neighbor Sir John Middleton, suitors for Elinor and Marianne are soon found, but not landed. They include dashing Willoughby, future vicar Edward Ferrars and retired colonial gentleman Colonel Brandon.
Director: John Alexander
Producer: Anne Pivcevic
Actors: Hattie Morahan, Charity Wakefield, Dan Stevens, David Morrissey

My thoughts: After watching the 1995 version of Sense and Sensibility, I wanted to give the BBC mini series a try. BBC usually creates wonderful shows and try to stay true to the books. With that in mind, I was looking forward to watching this version. I quite enjoyed it as much as the movie version.

Because it was a mini series, more of the book's plot was explained. It gave me a further understanding as to what was going on since I struggled in reading the book. I came to sense a lot more the dire need of the Dashwood women when it came to the financial issue and I was able to sympathize with them when it came to the matters of love. By drawing out the issues of the story, it made me comprehend it more.

I have to admit that I was torn about how I felt about the acting with the series versus the movie. I loved Elinor in the series since she seemed more believable (though Emma Thompson did a wonderful job in the movie as well). I was not too fond of Marianne with this version. I didn't feel much compassion for her since she was not as passionate as Kate Winslet portrayed her in the movie. Next, I liked Edward and Colonel Brandon with this version too. They were tied with how I felt with the movie. The character I liked least in the series was Willoughby. He was not charismatic and loving as portrayed in the movie. He appeared freaky to me instead.

Overall, I quite enjoyed how the series portrayed the novel. Though I had mixed feelings about the actors, I did enjoy how the plot was explained. I rate this version:


No comments:

Post a Comment