Thursday, June 21, 2012

Tea Time Thursday #1: Alice Walker

Today is Tea Time Thursday, my own weekly meme/event :). This is where I will be discussing any news or updates from the book community.

*********************************************************************
Today's topic:


Alice Walker is a wonderful writer, poet, and activist. She is best known for her novel, The Color Purple. Recently, Walker has refused a new Hebrew translation of The Color Purple to be published in Israel. She doesn't want the translation to happen because she wants to boycott Israel who is  “guilty of apartheid and persecution of the Palestinian people.” 
This news has caused many Israel's supporters to lash out against her. They say that Alice Walker's decision is  “among the most egregious acts of discrimination against Israel by leftist intellectuals.”

Alice Walker stays firm to her decision.
My Thoughts:

I am torn between both sides.

I completely understand why Alice Walker doesn't want her book to be translated. She strongly believes that Israel should change its laws. If she has the book translated, it's almost like she is rewarding the country for its mistreatment of Palestinians. 

But...I also understand Israel's supporters. By not sharing her book, Alice Walker is punishing the people of Israel due to the government's actions. This somewhat reminds me when schools ban books due to students' behaviors. Is that right?

So, I ask you:
What are your thought's on Alice Walker's decision?

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh Alice Walker!!! Loved "The Color Purple" what a great book!

    I think I feel the same as you - she is punishing the people for what the gov. is doing. Like would you punish a whole town for what one family does?
    But I do respect her decision, it is her book.

    Hey Vonnie, here is a link to a "give away Hop" you sign up and do a giveaway post for a book or gift card, during the time allotted. I am telling you it is a great way to get followers and new viewers! I am #18. I have done quite a few of them. If you don't want that's fine too, just thought I would share with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the link? I would like to check it out. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! Hahahahaha I thought I put it in there. Silly me

    http://iamareadernotawriter.blogspot.com/2012/06/lazy-days-of-summer-giveaway-hop-sign.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries...I do that too sometimes. Thank you for the link!

      Delete