Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Audiobook: I Loved, I Lost, I Made Spaghetti by Giulia Melucci

"From failure to fusilli, this deliciously hilarious story of Giulia Melucci's fizzled romances and the mouth-watering recipes she used to seduce her men, smooth over the lumps, and console herself when the relationships flamed out. From an affectionate alcoholic, to the classic New York City commitment-phobe, to a hipster aged past his sell date, and not one, but two novelists with Peter Pan complexes, Giulia has cooked for them all. She suffers each disappointment with resolute cheer (after a few tears) and a bowl of pastina (recipe included) and has lived to tell the tale so that other women may go out, hopefully with greater success, and if that's not possible, at least have something good to eat.
Peppered throughout Giulia's delightful and often poignant remembrances are fond recollections of her mother's cooking, the recipes she learned from her, and many she invented on her own inspired by the men in her life. Listeners will howl at Giulia's boyfriend-littered past and swoon over her irresistible culinary creations."
* * *
I was looking forward to this book. It looked very cute and the thought of her memoir being told with recipes got me really interested. Unfortunately, I did not like it as much.

This audiobook is read by the author herself. Since it's her book, I expected to be entertained by Giulia (pronounced as "Julia"), but instead I found myself feeling irritated. She has a very monotonous tone and it was sometimes hard to tell when she was mad or excited.

Also, this book recounts Giulia's many failed relationships and how she tied these relationships with special dishes. Many times I felt embarrassed for Giulia on how desparate she become with these men. Pretty much her life is surrounded by finding a man and making him marry her. Kind of scary. The good thing though were the dishes. Her recipes sounded delicious and made me want to try them myself. If only the book was only about her food instead of her men.

I cannot say that this was a horrible audio. It interested me enough to finish listening to the whole thing. I wanted to know if Giulia did find her soul mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment