Monday, July 9, 2012

Musing Mondays July 9th

A weekly meme hosted by MizB from Should be Reading. And this week there are two questions:

Have you ever read a book that, at the time, you didn’t feel a strong connection towards, but as time goes by you find yourself thinking about it a lot?

My Answer: Yes, it has happened a few times in fact. I don't recall the titles but their messages have stuck with me.

There's one book in particular that does stand out the most. It was a very thin book written by a college instructor that I had to read for his class. Now, he was full of poo and said horrible things (he was very sexist and racist). His book was the same way with stupid ideologies. I remember hating the book while reading it because it was just awful. Though I don't recall what it is called, I still remember it. It did have some truth about Mexican American culture. Do I agree with the book and the person who wrote it? No, but I still think about it.


Have you ever been to a book signing or met an author? If so, who was it? What did you think? (If you haven’t yet met an author, or been to a signing, who would you like to meet?)

My Answer: The only book signings I've been to have been the ones held at the Los Angeles Festival of Books. I've met some unknown authors there before and have gotten their books signed. This year was a little different for me and exciting. I met Anne Rice :D

I've been dying to meet Anne Rice since I was 12 and when I heard that she would be at the Festival this year, I made sure to be there! I made my friend and sister come along with me to help me carry my books for the signing. When I got to Rice, I had no clue what to say to her. I kept smiling like a big doof and thanked her in a high pitched voice. Ay...how embarrassing...
Anne Rice signing my books.

4 comments:

  1. For my books, I chose two that stuck with me for positive or haunting reasons, but your answer has made me think about all the books that have stuck with me for negative reasons. There are a few, from college, that had that affect on me for sure!

    http://aturnofpage.blogspot.com/2012/07/musing-mondays-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, Love Anne Rice's earlier stuff :) In fact, she's in my Musing Monday ... Stop by if you'd like :)

    Happy Reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My answer was of books I ended up loving. What a bummer about the professor's book, that would sour me on the whole course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was a tough course. 95% of the students hated him because of his comments. I think he got fired a year after I graduated.

      Delete